2008 marked the first pupil exchange with our partner school, Colegio Ascunción Rincón, in Madrid. Since these early days we have developed a strong relationship with the school and the exchange has become an exciting project, allowing international friendships to develop between children and families in the UK and Spain. The Madrid Exchange gives a unique opportunity for children in Year 5 and Year 6 to develop their cultural understanding and Spanish skills, as well as their confidence, collaboration, empathy and resilience.
If you choose to take part in the exchange, you can expect:
- Individual partner for the duration of the exchange – matched up carefully using pupil profiles;
- 7 day stay for Spanish children in York, hosted by families of pupils during Spring term;
- Special programme of events, including workshops, Cook School, PE during exchange week in York for Robert Wilkinson children and their Spanish partners;
- 6 day stay in Madrid, staying with partner family during Summer term;
- Special programme of events in Colegio Asunción Rincón, including a taste of Spanish school life, opportunities to use their Spanish language skills, special activities, sight-seeing in Madrid;
- High pupil/teacher ratio; Robert Wilkinson staff on call 24/7 in Madrid;
- Madrid Team group work for children to prepare for the exchange with Spanish team in school;
- Meetings for parents to pass on information, answer questions;
- Parents’ network for mutual support.
There are two ways in which you can participate in the exchange:
- As a host family. Your child is partnered with a Spanish pupil who stays at your home. Your child participates in all the activities/workshops during exchange week alongside their partner.
- As a host family and traveller. Your child is partnered with a Spanish pupil who stays at your home. Your child participates in all the activities/workshops during exchange week and travels to Madrid, accompanied by staff from school and stays with their partner’s family in Madrid.