English at Robert Wilkinson Primary Academy is delivered to enthuse and inspire all children to read and write naturally, creatively and independently.
Visual literacy in the form of animations, photographs and pictures alongside drama are approaches used to support learning and instil a love of writing across the year groups. Composition, spelling, punctuation, grammar and handwriting are interlinked during sessions. Purpose and audience are integral so that writing is relevant, meaningful and enjoyable.
A lifelong love of reading is actively encouraged through both guided and whole class reading sessions. We endeavour to promote a positive reading culture throughout the school in classroom settings, the school library and through book talk. Phonics teaching in FS2 and Key Stage 1 provides children with firm foundations to equip them with the skills necessary to become fluent readers. As children progress through school, they practise a range of comprehension skills using a wide variety of engaging stimulus.
- Pobble – http://www.pobble365.com/
- Literacy Shed – https://www.literacyshed.com/home.html
- Once upon a picture – https://www.onceuponapicture.co.uk/
- Vocabulary Ninja – https://vocabularyninja.wordpress.com/
- Phonics Play – https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/
- Teach your monster to read – https://www.teachyourmonstertoread.com/
- Bug Club – https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk/login?c=0
- Spellzone – https://www.spellzone.com/
- Readtheory – https://readtheory.org/auth/login
- Various author websites (David Walliams, Roald Dahl, Maz Evans etc)
Literacy Links in our community
19B The Village Strensall
York Explore Library
Library Square, York