Music lessons at Robert Wilkinson Primary Academy aim to engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music and their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. As pupils progress, they develop their listening, composition, performance and evaluation skills.
Whilst studying and enjoying music, the children are given the opportunity to:
- Learn to use their voices.
- Create and compose music individually and with others.
- Understand and explore pitch, duration, dynamics, tempo, timbre, texture, structure and appropriate musical notations.
- Listen to, review, perform and evaluate music from across a range of historical periods, genres, styles and traditions, including the works of great composers and musicians
- Learn a musical instrument with opportunities to perform in informal concerts
- Join the school orchestra & other musical ensembles
- Use technology appropriately
Music Mark Award
Robert Wilkinson Primary Academy has received the Music Mark Award after being nominated by York Music Hub.
To receive the Music Mark, a school must show that they not only have high-quality music provision in school, but also a willingness to improve the quality of that music provision across York.
Our school takes part in a Wider Opportunities Scheme and is involved with the York Music Hub, a partnership of key providers of music education within the city.